Diversity, Equity, & Inclusion
Oregon RAIN’s Diversity, Equity & Inclusion (DEI) Statement
Oregon RAIN is a diverse, equitable, and inclusive workplace. We strive to foster an atmosphere where all team members and volunteers, whatever their gender, race, ethnicity, religion, national origin, age, sexual orientation or identity, education or disability, feels valued and respected. We are committed to a nondiscriminatory approach and provide equal opportunity for employment and advancement in all programs. We respect and value diverse life experiences and heritages and ensure that all voices are valued and heard.
As leaders in the entrepreneurial ecosystem, we are committed to modeling diversity, equity, and inclusion, and maintaining an inclusive environment with equitable treatment for all.
To provide informed, authentic leadership for cultural equity, Oregon RAIN strives to:
- See diversity, inclusion, and equity as connected to our mission and critical to ensuring the well-being of our staff and the entrepreneurial communities we serve.
- Acknowledge and dismantle any inequities within our policies, systems, programs, and services, and continually update and report organization progress.
- Explore potential underlying, unquestioned assumptions that interfere with inclusivity.
- Advocate for and support board-level thinking about how systemic inequities impact our work and how best to address that in a way that is consistent with our mission.
- Practice and encourage transparent communication in all interactions.
- Commit time and resources to create diverse leadership within our board, staff, committees, and advisory bodies.
- Lead with respect and tolerance. We expect all staff members to embrace this notion and to express it in workplace interactions and through everyday practices.
Oregon RAIN abides by the following action items to help promote diversity, equity, and inclusion in our work:
- Include DEI statements and adherences in all contracts with partners.
- Include DEI statements and adherences in all agreements with entrepreneurs and mentors.
- Pursue cultural competency throughout our organization by creating substantive learning opportunities and formal, transparent policies.
- Conduct outreach to minority populations in the communities we serve, to include them in the entrepreneurial ecosystem (e.g., entrepreneurs, mentors, investors, service providers, etc.)
- Ensure that all facilities we utilize are accessible to people with disabilities, and where work to remove barriers when they exist
- Collect and aggregate data related to equity to make incremental, measurable progress toward the visibility of our diversity, inclusion, and equity efforts.
- Pool resources and expand offerings for underrepresented constituents by connecting with other organizations committed to diversity and inclusion efforts.
- Attend workshops on diversity, inclusion, and equity to gain and share information and resources internally and externally with our entrepreneurs, volunteers, and community partners.
- Be more intentional and conscious of bias during the hiring, promoting, or evaluating process.
- Advocate for public and private-sector policy that promotes diversity, inclusion, and equity, where the emphasis is to reduce barriers for startups. Challenge systems and policies that create inequity, oppression, and disparity.
Oregon RAIN wants everyone to feel welcomed and comfortable at our events. Please contact us if there are any accommodations that we can make for you that will encourage your participation and we will do our best to meet your needs. Depending on the event type, these accommodations may include things such as: reserving front row seating, advance copy of slides to be projected, wheelchair access, language translation, childcare needs.